Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I want my America back - Springsteen

Though I'm now happily back in Bombay and enjoying the warm, humid and comforting weather, and even - to a small extent - the cheerful crowds on the streets, my recent stay in Princeton has left me infected me with a sense of involvement in the politics of the USA.

As many of my readers surely know, a good liberal "blog-newspaper" to have emerged in recent years is the Huffington Post. This sticky morning in Bombay, while Obama is poised to win but the complete results are still awaited, I was browsing HuffPo and came across an article by Bruce Springsteen, a musician I admire as much for his songs as for his politics. So I shall point all of you to it. Before you go, let me direct your attention to two great lines. One is "Whatever grace God has deemed to impart to us resides in our connections with one another", a stark contrast to the far-right view that God has imparted a sort of infinite, lifetime-warrantied, maintenance-free grace to the US. The second great line is "I want my America back". Now go ahead and read Springsteen.

No comments: